Monday 14 July 2008

Teaching!

Today’s blog prompt: Share an old photo of yourself and a current photo of yourself with your blog readers. Tell them a little something that has changed and a little that has stayed the same. This LO shows me as a child at school alongside me on my first day of final teaching practice. Teaching was always something I wanted to do. I used to make my sister play schools when we were little. I enjoyed my time at school and I hope my current class can say the same.Here I am after 29 years as a teacher in what is technically the same school. (We were an Infant school and we amalgamated with the Juniors next door.) 
So what has changed over all those years?
Children have certainly changed. When I think back to my childhood, living in the countryside, I knew far less of the real world than the children I teach today. There were no mobile phones and computers. In fact we didn't have a phone when I was very young. (Infact we didn't even have an inside loo!! We had a shed down the garden with a chemical toilet until I was about 12!!) Children have access to sources of information which i could never have imagined as I used my encyclopaedia to find out what i wanted to know. (I still have it)
The tools of my trade have changed. When I began teaching computers were very basic. We had one computer in the classroom which had a few basic games and I had to learn some basic programming to make any real sense of it. Now we have nearly 100 laptops on school and the children are nearly as proficient as I am by the age of 7!
My position in the school has changed. I began as a lowly NQT, became Maths co-ordinator ad then swapped to ICT. I became Keystage co-ordinator and with a brief spell as Acting Deputy many years ago I am now an Assistant Head. I now have the one thing that a newly qualified teacher hasn't got - experience. There are fast track routes to Headship, but no one can teach experience. I have seen things and dealt with situations over the years which give me insight into teaching today.
What has stayed the same?
The fact that I enjoy my job. I love being with the kids. Other teachers dread the thought of school journeys, but I love the chance to be able to spend time with the children in a more relaxed mode and having the time to chat and find out more about them. I do have moments when I think I might like a change, but they don't last for long. Being a teacher is one of the most rewarding thing I can imagine. Seeing children who can't do something and knowing that I can change that is a big thrill. Actually making that change happen is even more exciting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this - and totally empathise with it too

valerie said...

It's a lovley photo can't believe you have been a teacher for so long I have been apsychiatric nurse for 19 (including my training) and my hubby has been a traindriver for twenty five how on earth did we get that old already

Val

Rhona said...

Hasn't so much changed since we were young! I enjoyed reading your post and agree totally. It's also great to put a face to a blogger - nice to "meet" you.

Kathy said...

I love this read! As a teacher/ assistant head, this sounds a bit like me. When teaching you cant beat experience, I was made head this year after 10 years teaching, but I still have loads to learn and experience and i still look for guidance from the people who are more experienced.