Thursday 10 July 2008

Spike and Shakespeare!

Today’s blog prompt: Have you ever been inspired by the words of a poem?
Share the poem with your blog readers and tell the words.

I'm not a poem person! I've never really seen the point and find all that flowery language too much! I'm not bothered by similie and metaphor - just give it to me straight, without any messing around!

The only poems I have had any affinity with have been the poems of Spike Milligan and Shakespeare!

As a youngster I remember having a couple of Spike Milligan's poem books. 
One of my favourites was 
There are holes in the sky where the rain falls in, but they're ever so small that's why rain is thin.
The other one I remember is along the lines of
I must go down to the sea again
To the salty sea and the sky
I left my vest and socks they're
I wonder if they're dry?
It was only when I Googled Spike's poems that I found this one which appealed - 
Hamlet

Said Hamlet to Ophelia,
'I'll do a sketch of thee,
What kind of pencil shall I use,
2B or not 2B?'


Quite appropriate really as my other choice of poem would be the Three Witches Spell from Macbeth. I love this from a teaching point of view, as it inspires the children to have a go at their own rhymes and to play with words! It also allows them to write about all the yucky things which kids love!

So, I hope you're not reading this at a meal time!

Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and owlet's wing,—
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

5 comments:

Charlol said...

My faviurite poet is Roger Mcgoughg whom I saw when I was at school in wimbledon theatre. Here is a peom of his...

First Day at School

A millionbillionwillion miles from home
Waiting for the bell to go. (To go where?)
Why are they all so big, other children?
So noisy? So much at home they
Must have been born in uniform
Lived all their lives in playgrounds
Spent the years inventing games
That don't let me in. Games
That are rough, that swallow you up.

And the railings.
All around, the railings.
Are they to keep out wolves and monsters?
Things that carry off and eat children?
Things you don't take sweets from?
Perhaps they're to stop us getting out
Running away from the lessins. Lessin.
What does a lessin look like?
Sounds small and slimy.
They keep them in the glassrooms.
Whole rooms made out of glass. Imagine.

I wish I could remember my name
Mummy said it would come in useful.
Like wellies. When there's puddles.
Yellowwellies. I wish she was here.
I think my name is sewn on somewhere
Perhaps the teacher will read it for me.
Tea-cher. The one who makes the tea.

Roger McGough

Tamarra said...

wow you are doing awesome.. I love the poems you chose and the suitcase photo from yesterday's I'll have to remember to get a picture of my luggage when I go on holiday at the end of the month.

Sianba said...

Love your post about poems! Makes me smile and remember some rhymes from my childhood... :-)

Rhona said...

Those poems brought a smile to my face. They're about the right level for me ;o)

Anonymous said...

You write very well.