Thursday 17 July 2008

Straight!!

Today's blog prompt: The things that inspire us are often linked to what we label as quirks in our personalities: things we like that others seem to dismiss. What quirk could you share with your blog readers to see if they really dismiss this or if it’s something you have in common?
If you have read my other blog - dddeeebbbzzz does - you may know that I love straight lines - you may also recognise the Edward Monkton cartoon. In my crafting I do like crispy cut straight edges, straight ribbons, perfectly perpendicular photos and all things neat and orderly. 
However, thanks to fellow blogsters, whose work I admire, I'm gradually accepting that there may be another way! Sometimes my photos may be at angles, I may use papers with swirls on them and even cut around those swirls, I can even cope with ripping the edges of paper - just!!
In other areas of my life the love of straightness shows - I hate people who waffle, I don't like to travel via 'the pretty route', I don't like waiting. Having blogged here recently about both my dislike of airy fairy poetry and my impatient streak, these could both have their roots in my love of straightness.
Looking at the things which inspire me, I love Mondrain, Escher and Mackintosh, which all feature straight lines. I love the clean lines of modern decor - I have oak flooring, magnolia walls and relatively plain wooden furniture. My ideal garden would have a straight water feature running through it. Crisp cotton sheets arranged perfectly on the bed, straight sided glasses, books arranged in alphabetical order ... the list goes on!
So maybe I just have to face it - Everything must be straight or else the world will explode!

2 comments:

Rhona said...

I've just finished publishing my post and then thought I'd check to see if yours was up. I had to laugh, one of my comments is that I can't have torn paper on layouts because I like things neat and orderly! Great minds!! Wish I took after you in some of the other things though - my house doesn't quite get the neat and orderly thing yet ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh I love your sense of humor on your quirk! :)