Tuesday 22 July 2008

My first job

Today’s blog prompt: Write about your first job and ask your blog readers to share their first job stories too.

My first ever job as a teenager was at a local hotel. I got the job because my friend worked there. It was three and a half hours on a Saturday morning for the princely sum of 22p and hour!! Yes a whole 77p for my morning's work. I usually began with washing up breakfast things followed by getting the dining room ready for lunch! Next, if I was lucky, was polishing the corridor between the dining room and the bedrooms. I remember there were huge windows running down the side of the corridor, overlooking the garden. I would then finish up helping to make up the beds. It wasn't a job I really enjoyed but it was money!! I think I was only there about a year before I moved on to work in a jewellers - much more my style!!
So, as the prompt says - I'd love to read about your first jobs!

3 comments:

Rhona said...

I remember the hotel working days - I worked as a receptionist for a 4 star hotel in Durban. I have to admit I didn't enjoy the shifts and didn't last more than a couple of months ;o)

Kathy said...

I thought my wages were bad at 75p but 22p thats stingy!

Charlol said...

My first job was as a cleaner I think? Not well paid either but like you say some is better than none!